According to the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance , the following are the 2020 Global and Regional Corporate Governance Trends:
1. Greater focus on the E&S of ESG.
2. Increasing importance of corporate purpose.
3. Better board oversight of corporate culture and HCM.
4. More expansive view of board diversity that includes ethnicity and race.
5. Companies facing wider forms of activism.
The study points out that for the first time, in 2020, the leading global focus is on ESG (Environment, Social and Governance).
In the European spectrum, the implementation of the EU Shareholders’ Rights Directive (SRDII), activist investors, ESG, director accountability, executive remuneration, board composition and leadership and regulatory requirements, dominate the corporate governance scene. https://corpgov.law.harvard.edu/2020/01/18/2020-global-and-regional-corporate-governance-trends/